Wednesday 22 January 2020

Making Cakes

I have always enjoying baking, making cakes and biscuits. But, I haven't done it so much recently for two reasons, firstly there's only two of us and we don't snack much so a batch of cake or biscuits would be wasted (in theory, practice has shown this isn't the case!), secondly recently my bakes have been hit and miss, the hits are definitely becoming the norm but there is still the odd issue (I blame a dodgy oven, too much bake off causing overthink and occasional miscalculation). Anyway we had some baking ingredients that were starting to get near the end of their life and work colleagues who like cake so I decided to do some baking. I also wanted to try out my mini victoria sponge tin, I've had it 3 years and never used it!


The tin looks like a muffin tin but it has vertical sides and loose bottoms. My biggest concern was the cakes sticking but none of them did. 


Filled with vanilla buttercream and raspberry jam, they turned out very nicely if I do say so myself (of course I tried one). The work colleagues have asked what's next on the list, I'm thinking mini carrot cakes.

I tried an alternative but of cake making this week too. 


With a recent increase in yarn buying I've treated myself to a swift and winder, not being sure if I'd get on with it I only bought a cheap winder with a view to upgrading if it was useful. 



Well I'm not sure if it's an upgrade that is required of just some practice but this cake doesn't look as good as the edible ones. Having said that it's usable and ended up like tv his quicker than if would have with hand winding. Think I'll look up some yarn winding hints and tips. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy :-)
When can you come back to my office and work xxx

Bethan said...

Cakes look good. Winder seems an improvement on handwinding x