Thursday, 1 December 2016

Sewing on a school night


Progress is actually happening on the baby quilt, I've managed to squeeze in some sewing time on a weeknight and, bar some pressing, have now got the component blocks completed.  This will eventually become a zig zag quilt from A Quilt is Nice. I've made two previously and forgot how quickly they come together.

Saturday, 29 October 2016

Wedding Banner Quilt...the saga continues

I think part of my problem with finishing things off is that I keep on starting new things.

Anyway over two years ago I made a quilt top for my brother and sister-in-law, which was used as a banner at their wedding (see post 5 Sep 14).  The plan was that it would be quilted and then used by them.  Like all the best laid plans this didn't actually happen, the quilt top is around 3m square and I've been somewhat challenged about how to baste it as I couldn't find a flat area large enough to accommodate the quilt and have space for me to move round it.  Well this weekend I've bitten the bullet, so to speak, and using a double bed as a work surface I've basted the quilt.


Even pressing the top was tricky.


I'm somewhat concerned that this method of basting is going to result in pleats in the backing, but it's the best I can come up with and I think a usable quilt on a bed with a couple of pleats is better than the component parts sitting in a bag in my house.



Monday, 24 October 2016

Back in the groove

Nothing like the impending arrival of a friend's baby to persuade you into starting a quilt! Hopefully I'll actually manage to finish this one before his 18th birthday.


It's taken me quite a while to find some baby fabric suitable for a little boy, hopefully my friend agrees.

Once this one's done I must really look into finishing all my half done projects and then thinking about tackling some of the kits, patterns and, if I'm feeling really brave, books I've bought over the years.



Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Mission UFOs

Not the little green men version, but unfinished objects.  In the process of finally tidying my sewing room, as I come to the end of the long task of making my house mine, I discovered plenty of half done craft projects. Much as I'm itching to start many new things I've realised that I need to make an effort to finish a good proportion of the unfinished, if only to create a bit of space for new projects!


The first project that came to hand was my Olympics mystery blanket...it seemed very appropriate (although it does commemorate 2012 not 2016). It also takes about a evening to complete each square...13 to go and then the Swiss darning an blanket construction can begin.  Just got to continue fighting the urge to hop projects or start something new!

Monday, 24 November 2014

Stir Up Sunday

Traditionally the last Sunday before advent is known as stir up Sunday when xmas puddings and the like are made. Now having no oven I didn't think I'd be able to cook anything for Xmas but I then realised puddings were boiled (for hours and hours and hours it turns out) and I have a working hob so a perfect excuse to make Xmas pudding.




I would love to be able to say they tasted fantastic, but I'll have to wait a while before I get to try them out! Though I haven't met a Xmas pudding I didn't like!



Saturday, 22 November 2014

Frustrating Friday Night Sew In

Well I had a plan for this evening to work on some cushions for my lounge, this would involve me trying to learn how to sew in a zip (zipper).  So I set up my sewing space, cut up the first squares of fabric and then found out that not only did I not have a zip foot I didn't have a normal foot either.  This seemed a little odd and was destined to end my sewing before it started when I finally remembered a little drawer...feet found.

Next step was to baste together the zip opening ( as explained in the wonderful tutorial courtesy of Grace Bonney at Design Sponge), at which point my machine started skipping stitches and unthreading itself in a most annoying fashion.  A serious cleaning session and some perseverance later I finally got round to sewing in the zip...



That actually wasn't too tricky (maybe the luck of the uninformed) and the rest of the project passed off uneventfully (ignoring the point where I realised why the zip opening was unbasted prior to sewing up the sides!).



Just a couple of little threads to tidy up, but otherwise I'm really pleased with the outcome and have another to make (and possibly a good few more in my future!).

Hope everyone else had a good FNSI.


Sunday, 19 October 2014

Renovating...up-cycling...whatever

In the midst of my disjointed house renovations I find myself left with a surplus chest of drawers.  It a cheap chest but very handy as it has lots of drawers so I think I'll move it to my teeny, tiny sewing room. Unfortunately I'm no longer keen on the waxed pine look and I think it won't be great in my dark, teeny, tiny sewing room (I'm just glad to have one!).  So what's a girl to do but get out the paint brushes...


From this

Via this


To this...


Hopefully I've made it so that I can use the top of the drawers as a pressing surface eventually. I'm really pleased with this and it has worked out as I planned.  I'm also going to paint the matching large bookcase to match, but this time I'm going to use a roller!