Sunday 11 March 2012

Landscape Quilt

On Saturday, after a significant diversion round the Somerset countryside (read getting lost for over an hour) I attended, for the first time, a quilting course at Midsomer Quilting.  A lovely LQS between Bath and Bristol where the kettle seems to be permanently on to keep the husbands' creche happy!


The course I'd decided to attend was Landscape Quilts taught by Effie Galletly. When I eventually found the shop I found the course in full swing transferring landscape photos to patterns, a fairly time consuming process.  I eventually settled on a photo I'd taken in Skye a few years ago as my quilt subject (I'd brought a good selection of pictures as I didn't know what'd work and dithered a lot over which to use).


The next few hours were busily consumed converting this picture to a set of fabric templates.


We then got to rummage through Effie's extensive landscape themed scraps box.  Very kindly she supplemented the fabrics we had brought along meaning that we got the best effect without having to buy lot of bits of fabrics when we only needed a small square.

By the end of the class I'd managed to find all the pieces of fabric I needed (the water sections proved to be a persistent problem even when I'd found the perfect fabric) and had manage to cut some out using the templates.

I've got some days off coming up visiting my family, I may find some time during the holiday to do a little more on this - maybe even attempt the scary sewing up!

1 comment:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

This looks fascinating!!! I look forward to seeing the finished results! I can relate to getting lost... happens ALL the time. I now have a Sat Nav in the car... LOL!!!