Saturday 2 November 2019

The Frame

I don't know what's more amazing that I've finally used my Cotton Orchard quilting frame in anger (after having it well over a year) or that I'm actually blogging about it!


First challenge was to set it up. When I'd last taken it down I'd deconstructed everything, and those side panels were fiddly to put back together with no instructions (a sure sign they shouldn't be taken apart). 


Embarrassingly getting to the point where the quilt was loaded and ready to go took me all afternoon and into the evening. 

Nerves and a few failed test runs meant that it was then a few days before I got the courage to actually quilt. 


But with the right thread and a bit of care I was off. 


The actual quilting was quick, easier than wrangling the quilt through the sewing machine and satisfying. The end result is a little lumpy due to not always remembering where the limits of the quilting area was, but I'm happy. Just the binding to go. 

You'll be pleased to hear that loading the second quilt, including building the frame and pressing the backing, took less than two hours. 

4 comments:

Maria said...

Sew good you have it all worked out and it will definitely make your quilting much quicker..

Lin said...

Well done you! Great work and I take it you will not be dismantling the side panels again! Have fun. xx

Laura said...

You have conquered! Now you are well on your way to better and better! :)

Bethan said...

The quilting looks really good. Glad you stuck with it even when it was being incredibly annoying. You'll be helping me with mine soon!