Friday 11 May 2018

Gloucester Cathedral


I've visited Gloucester Cathedral several times and whilst always very interesting (the tomb of a king and a king's brother is there) and beautiful I've never taken any pictures before, although I often (including this visit) say I will bring my big camera with me next time for a proper photography session.


East window started in 1350s

I think two things inspired me this time, the mention of the cathedral in a recent history program and the fact the upper galleries and Lady Chapel were open and I'd never seen them before.


It's always cool finding new bits of a place you've visited before and this was no exception, the galleries give a different view on the cathedral, the Lady Chapel is beautiful and the whispering gallery is a little mind blowing.


Add to that cloisters, sunshine, good company, a musical concert warming up and a 14th century peasant playing golf and it all made for a pleasant way to pass a couple of hours.


And for those interested in such things bits of the Harry Potter films were filmed at the cathedral, I think in the cloisters.

No comments: