Sunday 23 January 2022

Knitting Class

 I took part in my first ever Zoom knitting class yesterday organised by Tangled Yarn. The class was an explanation and practice of the colourwork techniques in the Scout shawl by the designer Florence Spurling.

I don't know if you've come across the Scout shawl but it looks like a patchwork of fairisle blocks and its knitted flat, not in the round and steeked which is more common for fairisle.


We started off with the basics of intarsia, followed by stranded colourwork (which turns out not to be too tricky worked on the wrong side).


We then moved onto combining the two techniques into a swatch for the shawl. This is where the fun began - six balls of yarn with the need to twist them (intarsia) at the beginning of each new block. One of the main challenges seems to be keeping the yarns untangled.


Only a small sample but I think I've got the hang of the technique. I feel more confident with starting the Scout shawl. I need to decide on my yarn colours and then find a suitable quiet period in which to start as this will take concentration and yarn tangling skills!

1 comment:

Sharm - Country Fragrance said...

I have colorwork on my list to attempt this year so seeing some lovely results with your swatch is encouraging, although I've yet to decide just which project I'll attempt! Good luck with the shawl