Tuesday 18 September 2018

New sewing experience - curtains

I have watched my mum make several pairs of curtains over the years, but I never attempted to make them myself as I could always find what I needed (and was willing to pay for) in ready made curtains.

Being strictly truthful I have still not made a pair of curtains from scratch. But for our recently decorated dining room the only curtains we could find that we liked were as wide as we needed them long and vice versa ( in effect too long and too short but just right if rotated 90 degrees. They also had the wrong type of heading tape but this was a minor issue.  So I decided to take the plunge and modify the curtains to fit our window.

From this...


To this...


I would love to say it was a quick job, but there was a full day of head scratching to figure it out and then several days of hand sewing the sides. Sewing on pleated heading tape was easy - which was nice.

I'm pleased with the end result, a little extra pressing and some re-stock good may be needed but that's fine. I'm not entirely sure if modify curtains again (unless it was just swapping heading tape) but it hasn't put me off eventually making a set of curtains from scratch.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Great job.... I really HATE making curtains......