Friday 20 January 2012

First Ever Patchwork

Whilst I'm enjoying my FNSI I thought I'd share with you my first ever attempt at patchwork...


Not quite a quilt as it's only two layers and is in no way quilted.  I can't find the label for exact details but I made this when I was about 15 using scraps of fabric from my mum and with her sewing machine.


Its amazing how different I managed to make all the seam allowances (the squares were all 4 inches to start with), but I got more accurate over the time I took to make it.


I pieced each of the strips and my mum got the unenviable task of sewing the strips together to make a decent sized near enough double (5ft) bed quilt - it appears I've always liked making large scale quilts!


This has been sat in a drawer in my bedroom and I came across it the other day and thought I'd photo it to store for posterity on  my blog.  I'd forgotten how nice it was, I love the scrapiness of it and than I can remember what some of the fabrics were originally used to make.  I've decided to leave it on my bed for a while more.

1 comment:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I bet you always keep this one!!! It's wonderful to have the memories of knowing what the fabric was used for. A wonderful keepsake!!!