Saturday 29 May 2021

Reduce, re-use, recycle

There's rightly been a lot of talk about the sustainability of clothing and the amount of clothes that get into landfill.

It's something I'm aware of, trying to be a bit more focused as to what I buy, getting full use out of items and trying to work out the best was to recycle rather than bin old items. Over the last few days however I have tried to do more than carefully buy and dispose of items.

Firstly my lovely pair of black dungarees have faded to a less that lovely grey colour. As they are still in excellent condition otherwise I decided to try redying them black.


It may sound a little odd but I was surprised by how black they became (and that the washing machine didn't become black).


Encouraged by thus first success I decided to move on to my next planned clothing renovation.

I like lightweight sweatshirts from a particular clothing brand and was going to buy myself another, when I remember a sweater dress from the same brand that I don't weat because it's too clingy.

A bit of work with the scissors and my sewing machine...


... and my dress is now a sweater, which incidentally go with my dungarees (and also benefitted from being ironed!).


I'm not sure that I will be able to rework all items that no longer fit or suit me but it's definitely got me thinking about what is possible. 

No comments: