Thursday 15 April 2021

Baking Part 2 - Easter Items

 After my recent bread success I felt I was on a yeasted baking roll and wanted to widen my repertoire, with Easter approaching hot cross buns seemed to fit the bill nicely (and conveniently my newly trusty Paul Hollywood book had a suitable recipe. Easter weekend was also the date suggested by a friend for a virtual bake off of a Jane's Patisserie recipe, given the time of year Creme Egg stuffed cookies were settled on.

Hot cross buns seem to require quite a bit of proving and as I didn't fancy getting up suprr early on Saturday to make them i decided to risk a rise in the fridge overnight and bake them for Saturday breakfast.

Still learning the nuances of a new oven, so they came out a little darker than I expected.


But once split and buttered they were fine, slightly chewier than a shop bought hot cross bun but definitely nicer and worth making myself.

The creme egg stuffed cookies?


Yum! Soft cookie dough wrapped round slightly melted creme eggs. I expected them to be epically sweet as the creme egg I'd sampled prior to baking had been almost too sweet for me but I found them delicious slightly warm and oozy (I had a cold cookie a day later and it did seem sweeter so the recommendation from Jane's Patisserie to warm the cookies slightly in a microwave before eating is a very good one). I now want to try out some of the other stuffed cookie recipes available at www.janespatisserie.com (not an ad just a very pleased, slightly over chocolated baker who wants to share a good recipe site).


No comments: