Monday 13 November 2017

My Ultimate Gadget

After a trip to IKEA last week to pick up some necessary parts I finally got my new 'gadget' set up over the last few days.

This...


Plus this...


Becomes this...


Throw in my own sewing machine and a test piece of fabric and ... wallah...


...a freestyle quilting frame from Cotton Orchard Quilts, who are conveniently located about an hour from my home (and IKEA trestle legs supporting it).  

We first came across these at the Great British Sewing Bee Live.  I'd always dreamed of having a long arm quilter but space and finances prevented it, so I was in love when we saw these.  I've gone for a 2.5m frame which can hold quilts up to 2.1m wide ish.  I am going to try and squeeze the wedding quilt onto it, but in future if I want to larger quilts I'm going to have to probably quilt as I go.

Had my first play on it this evening...


(Underneath view - no eyelashes in this bit)
(It was suggested that initial practice was carried out on a cheap bedsheet without wadding to practice technique)

Lots more practice required and I'm going to have to re-read my FMQ books for inspiration.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Enjoy using your new toy....