Thursday 22 May 2014

How I Make A Kindle Cover...

Looking back through my posts I, apparently, learnt how to make a Kindle cover from a tutorial I found on Junie Moon's blog.  I say apparently as there is no sign of the tutorial on the blog anymore.  In the last few years I have made several Kindle covers using the same design and making it up as I go from memory.  When I made my last cover I decided to record the steps so I could post them here and then next time I make a cover I won't have to spend half a day figuring out the maths and details.  

(Please note this is still a bit of a work in progress and will probably be tweaked in coming months for my own sanity and to ensure every step works, but I need the basics recorded somewhere!)

So here goes....

A kindle cover needs outer fabric, lining fabric, thin wadding, velcro and a button


Cut the following pieces for a Kindle measuring 7 x 5 inches: 
    1 lining 7.75 x 5.75 (3/4 inch longer and wider than kindle)
    1 lining 9.75 x 5.75
    1 outer and 1 wadding 8 x 6 (1 inch longer and wider than kindle)
    1 outer and 1 wadding 10 x 6


Layer the longer piece of wadding, longer outer fabric face up and the longer lining face down (if it has a face).  Top edges should all be lined up.  Place a pin 2 inches down from the top on either side this will create the flap for your kindle.


Sew round the top, between the two pins, using a 1/4 inch allowance.


Clip corners and turn right side out.  This is the back.


Layer the three remaining pieces of fabric - wadding, outer face up, lining face down - with top edges lined up.  With a 1/4 inch seam sew along the top.  This is the front.


Tricky bit to explain...open up the front and back so that the lining is on its own at the top and the wadding and outer are at the bottom.  Place the front on top of the back so that the right sides of the outers and the linings meet, the wadding is on the outside and the flap is sandwiched in the middle.  Make sure the bottom of the outers and waddings meet up (yet to figure out why the linings don't).  Sew almost all the way around using a 1/4 inch seam.  Leave a gap in the lining for turning.


Turn right way round and try and remember to sew up hole in the lining!


Finally, sew velcro under the flap and a decorative button on the outside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very cute and thankyou for the tutorial Vicki.xx